How To Optimize Small Removals In London
There are a number of occasions when small removals are necessary; when students move out of their parents’ homes into digs, or when people move between bedsits or shared houses for instance. These kinds of relocations tend not to require a fully loaded removals van. This can be the ideal time to find a suitable ‘one man and his van’ company. Man and van hire in London can be cheaper and more widely available than larger furniture transport companies. Do plenty of research, get a range of quotes, check out the references of previous clients and prepare a moving checklist before booking any removal services.
1. Determine the hourly rate and mileage fees that your chosen man and van service charges. Make sure that all necessary insurance is included in the quoted price. Decide how much packing and loading you want to do and how much it will cost to employ additional porters to do the rest. Reputable companies can charge around £50/hour for a van and driver, plus something in the region of £60/hour for loaders and packers.
2. Make a list of the essential items that make up your ideal student move. Be aware of the size of the accommodation you are moving into and don’t take anything that won’t fit into your new accommodation. Remember to pack items such as a TV, CD &DVD player and computer. Don’t forget to leave space for clothing and bedding. You should keep items such as a mobile phone and charger, passport, driving license, TV license and other important documents safely to hand.
3. Discover what equipment is provided in your new digs. Will you need to take kitchen ware, pots and pans etc? Are lamps in place or do you have to bring your own?
4. When you have a complete list of every basic necessity, you can decide how much room there is left in your van and at the new digs for you to add some creature comforts and reminders of home and family. Photos, artwork and posters will add a flavour of individuality and nostalgia without taking up much room.
5. Talk to your man with a van to discover if any packing materials are included in the price. Good firms tend to have blankets, ropes and straps in their vehicles to protect your prized possessions in transit. Find out if the driver or porters are able to help disassemble and reassemble things such as flat-packed furniture as part of their hourly rate.
6. Remember that you are inviting movers into your home and that they might be alone with your child when they arrive at their destination. Ask your service provider if their staff have been subject to background checks for your peace of mind. Find out how much experience the company and the particular employees have and if the driver has any convictions. The relocation process is one of the most stressful of all life experiences and when this is combined with your son or daughter leaving home for the first time, you need every possible reassurance.
Many of the UK’s capital’s 8 million residents are looking to upgrade their accommodation at any time. It can often be more financially viable to find somewhere to live outside the city and to commute to work daily rather than paying the rapidly rising rental rates or property prices. Planning and preparation are essential before making any decision to move. Look at all the different transport options and services before booking any moving company.